Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What is Your Deepest Fear?

Facing the Challenges of the Unknown
Speech presented at 8th Grade Graduation
Albany Preparatory Charter School

June, 2011

Most of you have been to my office at least once. When you watch the screen saver on my computer, you have seen a question pop up: What is your deepest fear?

Some of you have asked me, “Mr. Booth, what is your deepest fear?” I usually answer the question with one word, “Me.”

Let me explain by telling you what happened when I was ten years old:

When I was ten years old, a family friend died. He was over seventy years old. His widow, Mary Brown, asked my parents if they would allow some of their children to stay at her home at night because she was afraid of being alone. My parents agreed and volunteered my two older brothers and myself. Mary Brown lived about six blocks from our house. She lived in front of an old grave yard that was overgrown with trees and brush.

Every night we would go to her house and would walk home every morning. My brothers got up at 5AM every morning to return to our home. They were quick at getting dressed and leaving. I was always trailing behind. I tried hard to keep up, but sometimes they would leave me before I was ready. I hated when they left me. I hated it because I had to walk home in the dark. And I hated walking in the dark- especially when I had to go past a grave yard. My fear of passing the cemetery and walking in the dark caused me to imagine all types of things following me. I was always looking back to make sure no one would bother me.

I really had no reason to be afraid. I knew every person who lived on that street. I knew every kid and every house they lived in. And, they all knew me. Why was I afraid?  Because I let my fears take control of me. As a result, I would allow every emotion erupt as I was walking home from Mary Brown’s house: anger- at my brothers for leaving; frustrated at myself for not leaving with them; fearful that I would be harmed by someone- although no one was going to harm me.

When I learned to face my fear of the dark, the darkness no longer evoked fear.

When I learned that I was the source of my fear I stopped being afraid of the dark.

What I have learned over the years is that my deepest fear is me. Your deepest fear is you. We prevent ourselves from becoming our best because we are afraid of what others will think about us. We are afraid of being noticed. We are afraid that people will begin demanding too much of us. We are afraid that we will look stupid. We are afraid that people will laugh at us. And so, we put limits on ourselves.


President Franklin Delano Roosevelt
32nd President of the USA
Fear seems to be the most prominent issue that all of you face. Many of you will avoid doing work or performing a task because you are afraid of failing.  Some of you are very gifted at singing or playing instruments, but will refuse to perform in front of your peers because you are afraid of making a mistake. Others are extremely smart, but you chose not live up to your potential because you are afraid of being that smart person. You are afraid of how people will see you or treat you when they discover how smart you are.  


President Franklin Delano Roosevelt said that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
Face your fears.

This past year you have been challenged to face your fears. Throughout your time at Albany Preparatory Charter School we have presented challenge after challenge to help you face your fears. Our goal was to help you become daring. We wanted to push you to strive for excellence. As you accepted each challenge you became more confident. You discovered abilities that you never realized that you had.

When we had talent shows, many of you stepped up and presented your talent before your peers in spite of being afraid. When we had dance contests, many of you performed before the staff and your peers in spite of being fearful that someone would poke fun at you. When you had to learn new information in math, science, ELA or social studies, many of you faced the challenge of learning information that stretched you.

When you were told you had to complete eight hours of volunteer work, you showed how creative you could be. Some of you had bake sales to address children who are hungry. Others sponsored a food drive and donated can goods to the St. James Food Pantry. One young man volunteered at the Boys and Girls Club. Another spent his time at a nursing home. Several volunteered at a local library. Another spent thirty hours volunteering at a haunted house. Some of you volunteered at your church. Some of you volunteered several hours to help Mr. Juman with the book sale.

We are so proud of you. We are so proud at how faced your fears and accepted our challenges. We are so proud of you.

As you leave Albany Preparatory, we want to encourage you to keep being daring. Do not be afraid of the new challenges you face. Face your fears about next year. Remember the only thing you have to fear is fear itself.

Make us proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment